From 22 to 25 February 2021, the African Disability Forum (ADF), National Union of Disabled Persons of Uganda (NUDIPU), Down Syndrome International (DSi) and the International Disability Alliance (IDA) are hosting a workshop in Uganda to bring together representatives of organizations of persons with disabilities who have been involved in CRPD and SDGs related processes, including alumni of the Bridge CRPD-SDGs training initiative, Inclusion Works DPO Engagement Officers and Fellows of various initiatives of IDA and their members including the World Network of Users and Survivors of Psychiatry (WNUSP), the International Federation of the Hard of Hearing (IFHOH), the World Federation of the Deafblind (WFDB) and others to strengthen capacities for engagement on the UPR, CEDAW, making linkages with the CRPD and SDGs with a specific focus on Article 27 of the CRPD, and the GDS Commitments.
The purpose of this workshop is to build on the existing work of the participants regarding the Art 27 of the CRPD as well as on the use of UN monitoring mechanisms, in Uganda, and to support them find synergies with one another, and to ensure a wide representation of participants with disabilities, including from underrepresented groups of persons with disabilities, to participate in opportunities for monitoring of the Government commitments under the CRPD, Agenda 2030, CEDAW and the GDS. DPOs will also have the opportunity to participate in deciding the priority areas and themes for the 2022 GDS and in planning their own strategies towards the Summit.
The 4 (four) days’ workshop scheduled for 22 to 25 February 2021, is being organized with the objectives to:
- Improve DPOs understanding of the UPR process and all opportunities for participation,
- Prepare DPOs for engaging with the CEDAW review and the preparation of a parallel report from the perspective of women and girls with disabilities,
- Prepare DPOs for collection of evidence and case studies towards creating an intervention on the proposed General Comment No. 8 on Article 27 of the CRPD,
- Review commitments under the Agenda 2030 and progress with respect to persons with disabilities, and
- Review commitments made during the GDS 2018 and prepare recommendations for the GDS 2022.
>>Download the concept note here.
>>Download the agenda here.
Participants for this workshop will be invited from the diversity of persons with disabilities, drawing from Bridge CRPD-SDGs training alumni from the national cycle that took place in 2018, as well as facilitators of the Bridge CRPD-SDGs, IDA member representatives and fellows, including DPO representatives of the Inclusion Works programme. External stakeholders will also be identified to participate particularly with regards to SDGs implementation. As far as possible, the Bridge CRPD-SDGs quality criteria will be respected in the identification of participants to these consultations, particularly with regard to ensuring a gender balance and participation of underrepresented groups.
Given the investment that has already taken place in Uganda to build inclusive facilitation teams, the workshop facilitation will be undertaken among peers, with overall supervision from the IDA Secretariat.
– Learn more about the Agenda 2030 and the CRPD here.
– Learn more about Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) here.
– Learn more about the Global Disability Summit here.