In order to support the development of the ADF, including strengthening the role of its DPO members, ADF has initiated an ADF Internship Program with the support of the International Disability Alliance (IDA) and the European Disability Forum (EDF). ADF is a full member of IDA.
The ADF Internship Program provides training to young disability activists selected from ADF member DPOs in each of the five sub-regions of Africa. The Program enables interns to go to Ethiopia for briefings on ADF and to learn about the African Union Commission (AUC), the UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), the UNDP Regional Service Center for Africa, the African Child Policy Forum (ACPF) and other organizations located in Addis Ababa.
Interns spend 3 weeks in Addis Ababa, hosted by the Federation of Ethiopian National Associations of Persons with Disabilities (FENAPD) with support by the Ethiopian Center for Disability and Development (ECDD) and the ADF Program Assistant. Interns are based in the FENAPD Office and expected to complete a program of visits prepared by the ADF Program Assistant and FENAPD. Following their stay in Ethiopia, the interns travel to the headquarters of their respective Regional Economic Communities (RECs) for 2 days of briefings. Upon their return home, the interns will function as ADF “Focal Points” and be expected to undertake specific ADF-related tasks for a period up to 12 months, for which they will receive a training stipend from ADF.
Reporting to the ADF Program Assistant and the ADF Senior Advisor, the ADF interns/Focal Points are expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Prepare a Report on their internship orientation in Addis Ababa and their visits to the headquarters of their respective RECs
- Enter into regular contact with their respective sub-regional DPO federation office and with DPOs in the countries of the sub-region
- Help identify national DPO federations in countries where there is no ADF member and inform them about ADF
- Identify regional mainstream institutions and organizations in their respective sub-region that might be encouraged to include disability and persons with disabilities in their programs and activities, and share the information with their sub-regional federation office and the ADF Office
- Study the CRPD, identify countries that have ratified the CRPD, and monitor CRPD reporting by the countries and DPOs in their sub-region
- Study the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and identify sub-regional and national efforts to mainstream disability issues
- Collect data on disability and persons with disabilities from the countries of their sub-region and share it with their sub-regional federation office and the ADF Office
- Support ADF-sponsored program activities in the countries of their sub-region, as requested, including DPO capacity-building training
- Support ADF DPO member advocacy activities that promote disability rights and inclusive development
- Inform the ADF office of meetings and other events of interest in their sub-region
- Undertake tasks assigned by their sub-regional federation office, in consultation with the ADF Office
- Prepare and submit a Final Report to the ADF Office upon completion of the internship
- Undertake any additional tasks as agreed with the ADF Office